ref date:28 May 1997 (HEA)
Twentyone in fresh E coli outbreak
SEVENTY patients and around 100 members of staff were being screened for E coli food poisoning at a Scottish hospital ( Falkirk Royal Infirmary) yesterday after 21 people became infected by the potentially lethal bacterium.
Sam Galbraith, the Scottish health minister, said people should be concerned but not alarmed. He added that following the lessons learned in last year's outbreak which was linked to a butcher's shop in Wishaw, Lanarkshire , the correct procedures were being followed. However, Dr Derek Sinclair, of the Central Scotland Healthcare Trust, which runs the three wards, admitted he had "no clue" about the source.